Protecting your privacy and confidentiality is fundamental to the way we care for people.
1. Your privacy is important to us
NELLY’S is committed to upholding the Australian Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012 and the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
2. What information we collect and hold
NELLY’S performs many functions and provides a range of services and programs across Australia. We will only collect personal and sensitive information that is necessary for us to
carry out these functions and provide these services and programs. The type of information we may collect, and hold varies depending on the purpose for which it is collected (as set out at section 4 below), but may include:
- Clients: as a participant in one of NELLY’S’s services or programs, we may need to collect your name and contact details, and emergency contact details; information regarding your family, children, health, legal and demographics including ethnicity and preferred language.
- Staff, Members and Volunteers: as a NELLY’S staff member, or member of the association or volunteer, we may need to collect your name and contact details, emergency contact details, information about qualifications and previous experience and bank account, taxation and superannuation details.
- Supporters: as a supporter of NELLY’S mission and objectives, we may need to collect your name and contact details. As a valued financial supporter of our fundraising activities, we may also need to collect your bank account or credit card details.
3. How we collect and keep safe your personal and sensitive information
How we collect and store personal and sensitive information varies depending on the purpose for which it is collected but may include the collecting of:
- Copies of your written correspondence with us
- Copies of receipts and/or transaction records in relation to your financial support of our fundraising activities
- Copies of your referral, assessment, consent or application form, request for assistance, and/or other associated documents (including documents generated during your participation in a program with, or otherwise during your interactions with us), and information that you may provide to us in relation to one of the services and programs we offer
- Copies of your volunteer agreement, employment agreement, membership/renewal form and any associated documents and information you provide to us in connection with your volunteering for or employment or membership with NELLY’S.
We may keep copies of the above documents (in physical or electronic form, at our discretion) as is necessary to carry out our functions and provide our services and programs. All personal and sensitive information is securely stored by us, or an authorised external service provider, and only authorised people will have access to the above documents and information.
4. Why we collect and hold personal and sensitive information
We may collect, hold, use, and disclose personal and sensitive information for purposes necessary to carry out our functions and provide our services and programs. Generally, these purposes include:
- To provide you with the services requested by you from us
- To assess your needs and to provide you with the services and assistance we offer
- To provide you with the necessary care and assistance during your time as a participant in our services or programs
- To keep in contact with you as a supporter of NELLY’S and to inform you about the role and extent of our work and mission
- To manage our fundraising activities and for taxation record-keeping purposes associated with your donation to NELLY’S
- To facilitate and manage your donation of goods to one of our programs or services
- To comply with necessary business and accounting standards
- To comply with our reporting obligations to the Australian Taxation Office and other government agencies and public sector bodies
- To facilitate and manage your employment, volunteer or membership agreement with NELLY’S.
We are committed to maintaining your privacy and we will only use your personal and sensitive information for the permitted purposes for which we have collected the information. You have the option of not identifying yourself or using a pseudonym when dealing with us, in particular circumstances, unless we believe it is impracticable to do.
5. How we may share your information
If necessary, to carry out our functions and provide our services and programs, we may need to disclose your personal and sensitive information to external service providers (such as but not limited to, health service providers, legal service providers, other community service providers etc.). These external service providers are strictly prohibited from using your personal and sensitive information for any purpose other than the purpose for which you have given us your personal and sensitive information.
Otherwise, we will only share your personal and sensitive information in accordance with your express consent and instructions, as provided through the exclusions set out in the Australian Privacy Principles.
We do not supply our database information to any marketing or commercial organisations not acting on our behalf.
6. What international disclosure do we make
We do not disclose personal and sensitive information to overseas recipients.
7. How you can access and seek correction of your personal and sensitive information
You have the right to access your personal and sensitive information, subject to some exceptions allowed by law.
If you would like to access or seek correction of your personal and sensitive information, please contact our Chief Executive Officer (CEO) at the contact details below. For security reasons you will be asked to put your request in writing and if needed, provide identification.
To enable us to verify your request, we require you to advise the following:
- Your full name
- Contact phone number
- Email address
- The relevant service or program (if known) that your request relates to.
There is no application fee for making a request to access your personal and sensitive information. While we do not normally charge for providing individuals with access to their personal and sensitive information, we reserve the right to charge you for our reasonable costs in complying with a request for access. These costs will not be excessive, only to cover any costs incurred by us to recover and provide your information.
8. How you can complain about a breach of the Australian Privacy Principles
We are committed to protecting your privacy and upholding the Australian Privacy Principles. If you believe we have breached the Australian Privacy Principles, please contact us with your concerns, using the contact details below.
We take all complaints very seriously and we will endeavour to respond to your complaint and address your concerns as soon as reasonably practicable.
9. How you can provide feedback or comments on this policy